Friday, February 19, 2010

The Dullard Sage

Lost in myself
I reappeared
I know not where
a drop that rose
from the sea and fell
and dissolved again;
a shadow that stretched
itself out at dawn,
when the sun
reached noon
I disappeared.
I have no news
of my coming or passing away--
the whole thing happened quicker than a breath;
ask no questions of the moth.
In the candle flame of his face
I have forgotten all the answers.
In the way of love
there must be knowledge and ignorance
so
I have become both a dullard and a sage;
one must be an eye and yet not see so
I am blind and yet
I still perceive,
Dust be on my head if
I can say where
I in bewilderment have wandered:
Attar watched his heart
transcend both worlds and under its shadow
now is gone mad with love.
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Farid ud-Din Attar

No comments:

Post a Comment